My kitchen is so close to finished. I have a few small projects to finish and several pending posts to finish writing and edit pictures for. We are functioning in our kitchen while I attempt to sort through all my kitchen gadgets, purge and put everything away. I’ve had a cooktop for awhile and a microwave the whole time… but the oven was another story! Now that it’s finally ready for use, I’m itching to get back to regular meal planning and try some new recipes.
Kitchen Catch Up
The actual ovens went in weeks ago, however, one of the doors broke! The manufacturer ground shipped (ie, snail’s pace) me a replacement… but only part of the door! I worked with my amazing friends at my local family owned appliance center (seriously, the best tip I can give for appliances is to stay away from big box stores, go small, family-owned, local!).
After a few delays from the manufacturer, they were finally able to get me a new oven door, and I can finally use my ovens!
It’s all good now. The first thing I baked? Frozen pizza!
Yep, gourmet, I know.
But, Tasha hasn’t been able to have gluten-free pizza since she was at my mom’s in July. She’s happy now too.
So, if you want to catch up and see what’s been going on in my kitchen renovation, here are the posts in order:
- DIY Built-in Fridge and Freezer (because we did this before we did anything!)
- Designing a Lighting Plan
- Kitchen Before
- Demo Day #1
- Demo Day #2
- Tiled Floors
- New Insulation and Drywall
- Installing Cabinets
- Quartz Countertops
- Modern Farmhouse Bar Stools
- Electrical Outlets
- Easy Board and Batten for Under $100
- Kitchen Accessory Wish List
- Making Kitchen Clean-Up Easy: Toe Kick Vacuum
- Industrial Farmhouse Kitchen Lighting
One of the perks of a new kitchen is the desire to cook! Another one of the perks if having a clean slate for grocery shopping. Because I had dwindled my pantry and freezer down before demo, I will have quite a shopping list soon.
Fall says crock pot to me. I know I could have used my crock pot during my whole kitchen renovation, but it mistakenly was packed and I couldn’t find it! Initially, it wasn’t a big deal because it was just IronFish and I. But, after some time without the oven, I started to wish I hadn’t packed it away.
- Julie from Confessions of a Cooking Diva shares Crockpot Asian Honey Chicken
- 3o-minutes with one pan is right up my alley! This Sheet Pan Roasted Pork Loin from Cooking in Stilettos makes this dinner easy.
- I just unpacked my ramekins, perfect timing for this Quick and Easy Chicken Pot Pie from The Kittchen.
- I’ve never made cabbage rolls before but have always enjoyed when others have served them. This Cabbage Roll Casserole from Simply Stacie sounds like a version I can handle!
Yes, I know breakfast comes before dinner, but we like to do breakfast for dinner some days and my kids haven’t complained as much about the breakfast choices in our house as they have the dinner options!
- German Pancakes from Life with Lorelai
- How cute are these Easy Jack O’Lantern Waffles? Ann from Ann’s Entitled Life shows how easy it really is.
- She Saved shares Easy Homemade Apple Doughnuts that I can’t wait to try.
- I pick blueberries every summer with my mom and freeze them. With busy mornings getting the kids off to school, these Blueberry Breakfast Cookies from Cooking with Curls will be a hit in my house!
- I never say no to waffles, especially Pumpkin Waffles from Bombshell Bling
Fall desserts to me all include Pumpin Pie Spice! My friend Nicole from Mom Always Finds Out shares how to make your own and save money.
- Even though I can finally bake, I always like a good mug cake! This 3-2-1 Carmel Apple Cake from The Monday Box sounds delish.
- Or, a full apple cake with only 3 ingredients (plus an amazing brown sugar cinnamon frosting) from Cincy Shopper.
- Pumpkin Bread S’mores Trifle? Yes, please! A Cultivated Nest shares this yummy recipe.
- I need to get some apples from the local farm for this Skillet Apple Crisp by Food Fun Family
Fall Meal Planning
One of the things I’m looking forward to most about having my kitchen finished is no longer having that panic feeling when my family asks me what’s for dinner! I’m so ready to get back to planning meals regularly.
Even with all the changes I made to the kitchen, my Rustic Chalkboard Menu will go back into its old spot. It was just right for answering the daily question. Plus, it’s the right style for my kitchen, just another part of the 2-year planning process!
And, while I’ve used the MyFreezEasy app for coming up with a quick shopping trip and meals here and there, it’s time to stock my freezer again! See how this app makes it easy here.
What are your favorite fall flavors and comfort foods?